LAKE COUNTY HIGH SCHOOL ATTENDANCE POLICY
DEFINITION OF EXCUSED AND UNEXCUSED ABSENCE
Excused absences include: medical, court, academic field trips, death in family, or exceptional circumstances. Absences shall be documented with parent notes, doctor’s notes, court notices, or other authorized documentation to verify the absences.
· Two (2) parent notes per 9 week period will be excused. All other undocumented absences will be counted as unexcused.
Once a student has 4 or more unexcused absences, it will result in a failing grade of no higher than a 59 in that course for a 9 week period.
MAKE UP WORK/LONG TERM ASSIGNMENTS
Students with excused absences are responsible for making arrangements with the teacher to make up work and assignments missed while absent. Please understand all missed work is due within five days after their return to school with the following exceptions:
· Test or exams assigned prior to absence will be taken on the day the student returns to school;
· Work assigned prior to absence and due while absent, will be due the day student returns to school;
· Long term assignments must be turned in on the day the student returns to school, e.g. book reports, research papers, etc.;
· Long term assignments submitted after first day student returns to school will result in a grade reduction of no more than 10% per day;
· Students checking in and out on the day a long term assignment is due must turn the assignment in by the end of that school day for it to be accepted on time.
PROCEDURE FOR STUDENT RETURNING FROM ABSENCE
Upon returning to school a student must present a note orother appropriate documentation explaining an absence within 48 hours of the student’s return to school. Otherwise the absence may be considered as unexcused.
INCENTIVE FOR GOOD ATTENDANCE
The principal or designee has the final authority for determining whether or not a school offers incentives for good attendance.
ACADEMIC FIELD TRIPS
· An AFT is defined as an event in which a studentis participating in a school sponsored event under the auspices of a teacher.
· 4 AFTs per 18 week period
· Students may participate in AFTs without being counted absent if all required work is made up.
· The first suspension does not apply toward the 4 unexcused absences affecting the semester grade. Any subsequent suspensions will count toward the 4 days.
· Make-up work is allowed for credit for 1st suspension only. No make-up work will be accepted for credit for subsequent suspensions, but we strongly urge all students to make up work missed.
TARDY POLICY PER 9 WEEKS
· A student is considered tardy to class after the bell unless excused by a note from school personnel.
· 3 tardies per 9 week period = 1 unexcused absence
· Missing 30 minutes or more of a class constitutes an absence
EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES AND ATTENDANCE
To participate in or to attend an extracurricular activity, a student must be present in school for at least half of their school day.
ADMINISTRATION OF ATTENDANCE POLICY
The Attendance Office, under the supervision of the principal or designee, is allowed the flexibility to design the paperwork, procedures,and the coordination with the Guidance Office in the implementation of the Attendance Policy.